Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Tuesday is the Best day!

I love Tuesdays because I have my baby program followed by my toddler program.  They are both super fun and high energy.  I like to keep my programs, especially my toddler program very structured.  We do a lot of rhymes, songs, and finger plays and then I always read at least one book, sometimes two, depending on the  crowd.  It surprises me that parents are very anxious about book reading to babies, worried that if they aren't looking at every picture or looking right at you, something is wrong or they are not ready.  I feel like its never too early to read to your baby.  My mantra is everyone will pay attention, they just won't all do it at the same time. Today, we read some great books!

Mama Cat has three kittens by Denise Fleming an American illustrator who often uses paper college in her bright and lively art and focus on Fleming's love of nature.  Mama Cat has three kittens, Fluffy, Skinny and Boris.  Fluffy and Skinny are obedient and do what ever Mama asks.  Boris on the other hand is a bit of an odd duck, funny and marching to the beat of his own drum.   A simple, sweet story with lots of repetition and many avenues for conversations about cats and their habits, counting and more.  

I Like it When by Mary Murphy Bright primary colors and simple text convey the story of little penguin and her caregiver and how they share time together with chores and fun activities.  I love these books for they simple conversations they start amongst my group.  The ending with a kiss goodnight is sweetly familiar to all. 

It's always a fun day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment